Borrowing and Lending

Did you ever encounter people who borrowed money from you, promised to pay you back in a certain date but never have the honor to fulfill such promise? These kind of people irritate me and they are not worth my trust. If a person breaks her promises to me, it would be hard for me to believe her word next time. I happened to encounter quite a few people who can't keep  there word and they really pissed me off. Latest one in the list is a lady who borrowed money from me. It's been more than 6 months since she borrowed the money and she promised me many times to pay it back and broke it many times too. She got lots of alibis. I loaned her the money because she was in need and she's a long time friend of my late sis. She claims to be a Christian too. She was able to land a job not long after she borrowed the money that's why I don't understand why she didn't pay me as promised. She's very quick in borrowing the money but find it hard to pay it back. She might thought I'm rich because I'm married to a foreigner but little did she know that we came here in PI doing missionary works with only our home church supporting us. I tried to understand her many times but when I sent her a text and told her I needed the money badly she said she can't pay me back because she don't have a job now. She asked for another extension. What in the world?

I myself had borrowed money from friends and relatives way back when I was badly in need but I paid it all as promised. I kept my word so they will not lose their trust in me. I don't want to be the talk of the town as "tiwed" in our dialect or "manunuba" in Tagalog. Christians or non-Christians, we are responsible for our decision of making a loan, for our spending and paying back what we borrowed. In many cases, it may be necessary to borrow money to purchase a “need”. However, there is such a thing as “responsible borrowing and lending”. Here are a few biblical principles that, if heeded, may keep many from the financial failure that could easily happen to them if these principles are ignored:

The Bible does teach that it is acceptable to loan money and things. The good lender should show mercy and kindness to whom he has lent.
“A good man sheweth favour, and lendeth: he will guide his affairs with discretion.” Psalms 112:5

A godly person has a responsibility to pay back what he has borrowed. It is a wicked person that does not pay back a loan!
“The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous sheweth mercy, and giveth.” Psalms 37:21 

When we give our word to pay back money we have borrowed, we have an obligation to pay it back. Breaking our word is lying. We are accountable for the promises we make! It is our testimony, especially if we are Christians, to do what we say.
“These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,” Proverbs 6:16-17


When a person does not pay back what he borrows, he is keeping what does not belong to him.

 If we borrow something, and it is damaged or dies in our possession; it is the borrower’s responsibility to restore to the lender what was lent. The borrower needs to fix what was damaged.
“And if a man borrow ought of his neighbour, and it be hurt, or die, the owner thereof being not with it, he shall surely make it good.” Exodus 22:14

If you are trying to help a person who is having financial difficulties, do not make a profit on his hardship and don't charge interest.
“If thou lend money to any of my people that is poor by thee, thou shalt not be to him as an usurer, neither shalt thou lay upon him usury.” Exodus 22:25

So my unsolicited advise to people who borrowed money from whomever, pay them as promised. Remember, what goes around comes around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Recent Miracle In Egypt

The Ant And The Contact Lens: a true story

The Power Of Prayer