Praying In Faith

In the Book of Matthew, chapter 21 and verse 22, the Bible says: “And whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer believing, ye shall receive.” Hebrews 11:6 says, “But without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God”—and that’s what we’re doing when we pray—”must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”

Many people have struggled with this question: How can I pray in faith if I’m not absolutely certain that what I’m asking for is in accordance to the will of God? The reason we struggle is that our faith is misplaced. We think that we somehow have to work our faith up to the place where God will answer a particular prayer.
But that is not the case. The object of our faith is the person of God Himself; not our faith. When I do not have faith, I’m saying one of two things: either God cannot answer this prayer or God will not answer this prayer. If I say He cannot, I’m questioning His sovereignty and His power. If I say He will not, I’m questioning His goodness. To pray in faith means that I believe God can and I believe God will insofar as it’s consistent with His glory, because God is good.

Sometimes we pray and we ask God for something, and immediately we start reasoning why God can’t answer the prayer. And so, we don’t have faith. We do not have faith because we do not see how God can answer. That means that our faith is not in the power of God; it’s in our own creativity, our own imagination. So, the truth is that we pray and ask God for something, and if we can figure out how God can answer, then we have lots of faith. But if we can’t think of any way in the world how God can answer our prayer, then we don’t have much faith. We’re just sort of hoping that maybe God’s got an idea that we haven’t yet thought of.

We must believe that He exists, that He is God. That He is Almighty God. That He is not limited by anything that we can think of. And then we must believe that He rewards those who diligently seek Him and believe that He is good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Recent Miracle In Egypt

The Ant And The Contact Lens: a true story

The Power Of Prayer